Episode 220 : Tricia Pendergrast On Med School During Covid
Featured Guest: Tricia Pendergrast
Jan 18, 2021
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 46:13 — 37.0MB) | Embed
Subscribe Us: Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Email | RSS
“When trainees are treated like they’re important, they’ll believe it”
Tricia Pendergrast is a second-year medical student at Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern University & co-founder of #GetMePPE Chicago. She joins us to discuss the experience of being a medical student during the Covid19 pandemic and the varied, extraordinary challenges that come with that. We also discuss her recent paper in JAMA “Prevalence of Personal Attacks & Sexual Harassment of Physicians on Social Media” as well as her ongoing work getting PPE where it is needed in Chicago.
Please subscribe to and rate Explore The Space on Apple Podcasts or wherever you download podcasts.
Email feedback or ideas to [email protected]
Check out the archive of Explore The Space Podcast as well as our White Papers and much more!
Follow on Twitter @ETSshow, Instagram @explorethespaceshow
Sponsor: Elevate your expertise with Creighton University’s Healthcare Executive Educational programming. Learn more about Creighton’s Executive MBA and Executive Fellowship programs at www.creighton.edu/CHEE.
1. What it’s like to be a medical student during a pandemic
2. The burden of worrying whether a program or the medical system will properly support trainees
3. How social media has been essential to airing concerns & raising attention
4. The skill set and pattern recognition that allows someone to move forward in an academic setting
5. Valuation of trainees and recognizing everyone has something to contribute
6. The horrifying impetus for writing the JAMA paper & why it felt vindicating to publish
7. Why the article needs to be a call to action
8. The origins and founders of Get Us PPE Chicago
9. The cloak-and-dagger nature of collecting and distributing PPE
10. Why nursing homes and homeless shelters are a PPE priority
The Free Guide to Med School Admission
#Covid, #PPE, #socialmedia, #podcast, #podcasting, #healthcare, #digitalhealth, #health, #leadership, #mentorship, #coaching, #FOAmed, #doctor, #nurse, #meded, #education, #hospital, #hospitalist, #innovation, #innovate, #medicalstudent, #medicalschool, #resident, #physician