“You don’t want to be asked a performance metric question, you want to be asked a performance question about those things that are actually your job”
Seth Partnow covers the NBA and basketball analytics for The Athletic. He resides in Milwaukee and was formerly the Director of Basketball Research for the Milwaukee Bucks. He joins us to discuss how metrics can be leveraged to help us get better every day, why selecting the right metrics requires diversity, and the critical need for coaching to turn metrics into actual improvement. This was a unique and fantastic conversation filled with brilliant analogies to the analytics revolution in sports.
Email feedback or ideas to email@example.com
Watch Explore The Space Podcast host Mark Shapiro deliver a TEDx address at TEDx SUNY Upstate. The topic is “Compliments As A Performance Lever During Covid-19”
Sponsor: Elevate your expertise with Creighton University’s Healthcare Executive Educational programming. Learn more about Creighton’s Executive MBA and Executive Fellowship programs at www.creighton.edu/CHEE.
Sponsor: The Clinician Experience Project by Practicing Excellence uses coaching and development to help clinicians become their best and improve patient and organizational outcomes, while amplifying purpose and contentment. Learn more at https://practicingexcellence.com/.
1. Wherein I start out with the wrong question
2. Framing analytics in a way that gets buy-in from a team and minimizing observer effect
3. Why agreement around objectives is the right place to start in selecting metrics
4. The importance of a diverse group selecting what we should be measuring
5. Reframing use of metrics as art instead of a binary entity
6. The critical impact of coaching the skills that are being measured
7. Pitch framing in baseball as an analogy for why we must look for more robust metrics
8. Why it’s critical that training tracks towards the asks being made of a person
Awesome moment here between Curry and Kerr pic.twitter.com/rRGNVPRinS
— Full Court Prez (@fullcourtprez) March 5, 2017
#metrics, #better, #analytics, #NBA, #sports, #podcast, #podcasting, #healthcare, #digitalhealth, #health, #leadership, #mentorship, #coaching, #FOAmed, #doctor, #nurse, #meded, #education, #hospital, #hospitalist, #innovation, #innovate, #medicalstudent, #medicalschool, #resident, #physician